An insulin test is useful for measuring the amount of glucose in your blood. Glucose from foods and drinks you consume serves as the body’s primary energy source. Before you learn about an insulin test price, you must acquire in-depth insights about it.
What are the effects of Abnormal Glucose Levels?
Insulin is useful for balancing your glucose levels. Abnormal glucose levels can lead to serious health consequences. When glucose levels are not normal, it can be called:
- Hypoglycemia: It occurs when your glucose level is too low. When too much insulin is present inside the blood, a higher amount of glucose will enter the cells. It reduces the amount of glucose in the bloodstream.
- Hyperglycemia: It occurs when the body glucose level is too high. The blood glucose level will increase if your body doesn’t produce enough insulin. Without enough insulin, glucose can’t enter your cells. It will remain inside your bloodstream.
The most prominent reason behind abnormal glucose levels is diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes: In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas makes little or no insulin. It leads to insulin dependency.
- Type 2 diabetes: When you have type 2 diabetes, your pancreas will produce insulin. But your cells won’t respond well to insulin and might end up obtaining too much glucose from the blood. The medical term for this procedure is insulin resistance.
Insulin resistance might also develop before type 2 diabetes. In the beginning, your body will start making extra insulin for an ineffective amount. The additional insulin in your bloodstream will lead to hypoglycemia.
However, insulin resistance hampers the body’s ability to make insulin. With dropping insulin levels, blood sugar levels reach new highs. You will develop type 2 diabetes when the levels don’t return to normal.
Purpose of an Insulin Test
An insulin test is used for the following:
- Determining the cause of low blood sugar or hypoglycemia
- Monitoring or detecting insulin resistance
- Monitoring people with type 2 diabetes
- Looking for tumors in the pancreas called an insulinoma
- Testing the success of tumor removal procedure
Sometimes an insulin test and other methods are used to detect and monitor type 1 diabetes. The other tests can include hemoglobin and glucose.
Symptoms Indicating You Need an Insulin in Blood Test
A doctor will prescribe insulin in blood test when you exhibit the following symptoms:
- Blurred vision
- Irregular heartbeat
- Extreme hunger
The test is also necessary when other tests indicate that you have hypoglycemia.
What to Expect During the Test
The blood test for insulin involves collecting a blood sample from a vein in your arm. A small needle collects blood in a test tube and is sent for analysis.
You will feel a little sting with the needle going in and out of your arm. But all symptoms like pain and tenderness go away pretty soon. You shouldn’t be eating or drinking for eight hours before the insulin in a blood test.
Interpretation of the Results
When the insulin levels are too high, it can indicate the following:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Insulin resistance
- Cushing’s syndrome (It affects the adrenal glands that produce hormones to break down protein and fat)
- A pancreatic tumor (insulinoma)
When your insulin levels are too low, it can indicate the following:
- Type 1 diabetes
- Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
You must take the test results to your healthcare provider to get the right treatment. You will be prescribed medications and dietary changes to treat the underlying conditions behind insulin imbalance. If you are suffering from insulin resistance, a healthcare professional might also recommend the following:
- Weight management: You can consult your doctor to create a healthy weight loss plan. A nutritionist and fitness trainer can also help you in the process.
- Exercise: Around 30 minutes of moderate activities for at least five days a week is great for reversing insulin resistance.
Cost of Insulin Test
An insulin test price is reasonable at most labs. However, you shouldn’t choose a lab because it charges a low fee. You must choose a lab that offers accurate results and can be trusted by your healthcare provider.
The Bottom Line
Doctors often recommend people get their insulin tested regularly, especially those with diabetes or with a predisposition for it. It is particularly important in diabetics and those with abnormal blood sugar levels. Book a home insulin test at an affordable price from a reputed lab for accurate results.